Week of June 14 – 20
“During this time of Covid-19, all of us are learning to do things differently. Our Un-Luncheon Volunteer Committee has been doing so with style and great commitment. I want to thank them all for their creativity, energy, and resourcefulness in helping to make this JFCS Un-Luncheon time fun and supportive of us all. Please join me in thanking: Kathy Chusid, Lee Cordova, Sarah Epstein, Leslie Glasgow, Wendy Gutmann, Miriam Hecht, Larry Holzman, Hannah Treuhaft, Joanne Treuhaft.”
For Grown Ups
OK, crossword lovers! Put on your alphabet hats and solve the crossword puzzle below! The first five to submit will get a Ben & Jerry’s ice cream gift card! And if you’re feeling extra squarely, why not create your own crossword and share with us?
OR tag us with the hashtag #JFCS4US!
Big THANK YOU to our very own puzzle maker, Sarah Epstein, for drafting this one-of-a-kind wordy treat!
Speaking of treats, just like the kids, the first five to submit will get a Ben & Jerry’s Ice Cream gift card!
Ever have a mental image that just screams, “I should be a cartoon!?”
Well, you’ve come to the right place! We’re hosting a cartoon contest for all of you clever would-be cartoonists, and the theme is…wait for it….JFCS!
Check out our website for inspiration and send us your brilliant, epic cartoons. Please don’t think you have to be a classically trained artist to submit a cartoon; it’s the thought that count. Thank you for being such good sports!
P.S. Like the kids, the first 5 entries submitted get a prize!
JFCS Word Jumble
Looking for a quick and fun way to exercise your brain without too much strain? Try solving a jumble that highlights one of the wonderful programs of JFCS.
And then, if you’re feeling even more daring, construct a jumble of your own for others to try and mail it to us at firstname.lastname@example.org
Not sure what is the blazes a Jumble is? NO worries! A jumble is a word puzzle that you solve by unscrambling letters to find words that will help you come up with the answer to a riddle. In this case, the riddle will be about JFCS and some of the ways we serve the Portland community. Below is an example of a JFCS Jumble.
Unscramble the five jumbles, putting one letter in each square and forming five words. Arrange the circles letters to form the surprise answer, as suggested by the clue below.
This JFCS jumble was submitted by: Sarah Epstein
Held Over! JFCS Scavenger Hunt!
Get your masks and get ready to explore! Download the Scavenger Hunt list and get the crew outside and adventuring (with masks on of course).
Once your team’s scavenger hunt is complete and signed off, drop it in the mail and be one of the first five to win a Ben & Jerry’s Ice Cream gift card!
Don’t forget to tag us with the hashtag #JFCS4US!
JFCS Scavenger Hunt
1221 SW Yamhill, Ste., 301
Portland, Oregon 97209
Cooking with Kids
We’re spending a lot of time at home these days, and one thing a lot of us have been doing is cooking and baking together. We’d love to share some recipes we’ve enjoyed making with our families, and we’d also love to hear some recipes you’ve enjoyed! Please send us your recipes and we’ll add them to the list!
Recipe: Egg Rock 'n Roll
Egg Rock ‘n Roll
by: Nadiya Hussain, British author and chef
- 2 eggs
- 1 tbsp dried parsley, optional
- 1 tsp garlic granules, optional
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp black pepper
- Oil, for frying
- sliced black olives and/or mushrooms, optional
- 1 tortilla
- You can also add cheese, pesto, whatever you’d like.
- Crack eggs into a bowl, then add parsley, garlic, salt and pepper, and give it all a good mix.
- Put a small frying pan over medium heat, and drizzle in (2) teaspoons of oil.
- Put the olives and/or mushrooms into a bowl.
- Pour the egg mixture into the pan – the egg should sizzle, if they don’t, turn up the heat.
- Scatter a few olive slices and/or mushrooms onto the wet egg mix.
- Put tortilla on top of the egg.
- Press top of tortilla to help distribute the egg underneath. Cook for no more than 30 seconds, then, as soon as the egg has glued itself to the tortilla, flip over and cook on the other side just to warm it through for another 30 seconds.
- Take the pan off the heat and put the tortilla/egg on a plate. Roll the whole thing when it is cool enough to touch.
Recipe: Muddy Muddy Green Beans
Muddy Muddy Green Beans
Submitted by: Tavia Berrigan
- 1 bunch green beans
- 2 tbsp honey
- salt & pepper, to taste
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- Wash and cut green bean tips.
- Heat olive oil in skillet.
- Toss in green beans.
- Drizzle one tablespoon of honey.
- Add salt and pepper.
- Cook green beans until they have a charred look and texture.
- Add the other tablespoon of honey.
- Cook further until more charred and slightly crispy.
Up Next for Grown Ups…
- June 8: Haiku
Up Next for Kids…
- June 1: Chalk Art
- June 8: Art To Go